This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0606 / 52°3'38"N
Longitude: 0.7877 / 0°47'15"E
OS Eastings: 591203
OS Northings: 243914
OS Grid: TL912439
Mapcode National: GBR RJK.V91
Mapcode Global: VHKF4.LGSP
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 9 February 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278020
Location: Great Waldingfield, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Civil Parish: Great Waldingfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Great Waldingfield
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
5377 (North Side)
Church of St Lawrence
TL 9143 23/225 23.3.61.
A flint and stone church built at the end of the C14 by John Appleton.
There is a fine west tower of 3 stages with castellated parapet and diagonal
buttresses. A half octagonal staircase turret rises on the south-east
corner. The nave and aisles have battlemented parapets and on the south
side there is an inscription along the parapet seeking prayer, probably
for the soul of John Appleton. There is some flush work and chequerboard
pattern. The south porch has a castellated parapet and some flushwork
ornamentation. The north porch was restored 1827-29 and the chancel was
rebuilt between 1866-69 by William Butterfield. The nave roof has good
moulded and carved beams and the aisles have moulded beams And joists.
The communion rail was taken from the Church of St Michael, Cornhill in
the City of London and is probably the work of Richard Cleere Circa 1670-75.
Graded for its architectural, historical and topographical value.
Listing NGR: TL9120343914
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings