This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9978 / 51°59'52"N
Longitude: 0.938 / 0°56'16"E
OS Eastings: 601786
OS Northings: 237339
OS Grid: TM017373
Mapcode National: GBR SLV.PZB
Mapcode Global: VHKFM.61RS
Entry Name: Ruined Chapel of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 9 February 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278552
Location: Stoke-by-Nayland, Babergh, Suffolk, CO6
Civil Parish: Stoke-by-Nayland
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Stoke by Nyland
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
5377 Ruined Chapel of St Nicholas
(formerly listed as
Giffords Hall and
ruined. Chapel of St Nicholas)
TM 03 NW 13/810 10.1.53.
Built by Richard Constable who held the manor of Giffords Hall in 1216.
He may also have built the earlier hall which was on the site of the
present building, but it is more likely to have been the Gifford family
who held the manor from the mid C13 to the mid C14. A flint building
with nave and chancel now in ruins.
Listing NGR: TM0178637339
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings