This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9589 / 51°57'32"N
Longitude: 1.0217 / 1°1'18"E
OS Eastings: 607708
OS Northings: 233249
OS Grid: TM077332
Mapcode National: GBR TNW.144
Mapcode Global: VHKFV.N1G3
Entry Name: Flatford Mill
Listing Date: 22 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351931
English Heritage Legacy ID: 278717
Location: East Bergholt, Babergh, Suffolk, CO7
Civil Parish: East Bergholt
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: East Bergholt St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 03 SE EAST BERGHOLT FLATFORD
3/9 Flatford Mill
Watermill, now Field Studies Centre. 1733 datestone, incorporating possibly earlier
but altered former granary range to rear and further C19 range adjoining granary.
Later alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond with weatherboarded lucam and granary
range. Plain tile roofs. Main range 2 storeys and attic. South front: 4 first
floor windows, central gable to attic. Door to right with overlight in tall opening
which breaks the first floor band. 24-pane segment-arched sash to right. Low plank
door to centre. 4 round-arched windows, 2 with iron glazing bars with radial
glazing to heads and two C20 wooden replicas of these. Small 2-light windows to
first floor. First floor band of 3 courses, similar to gable. Lucam to right
gable end. Rear: two blocked wheel arches. Door under segmental arch surmounted
by datestone. 4-course first floor band. Pitching door above and 2 small windows
under segmental arches. Stepped eaves. Attic gable glazed early C20. Wheel
arrangement altered C19, wheel house added to right. No wheels left in situ. Range
attached to rear left, former granary now incorporated into accommodation. Single
storey and attic. Extension under pent roof to mill pond side, C20 casements.
Gabled dormers to mansard roof. Further brick range at lower level with gabled
dormer to mill pond side. Interior of granary range shows timber-framing with some
chamfered jowled posts, studded walls, massive beams of apparently inserted ceiling.
The mill was in the possession of the Constable family from the mid C18. Its
Grade I status reflects its significance in the life and work of John Constable.
Leased by the National Trust to the Field Studies Council.
Listing NGR: TM0770833249
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings