History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Homeland

A Grade II Listed Building in Coddenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1453 / 52°8'43"N

Longitude: 1.1168 / 1°7'0"E

OS Eastings: 613356

OS Northings: 254252

OS Grid: TM133542

Mapcode National: GBR TLP.F5Y

Mapcode Global: VHLBD.9BSQ

Entry Name: The Homeland

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352019

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279254

Location: Coddenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Coddenham

Built-Up Area: Coddenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Coddenham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Coddenham

Listing Text

CODDENHAM CHURCH ROAD
TM 1354
8/6 The Homeland (formerly listed
-
9-12-55 as Homelands)
GV II

House. Early or mid C16, extended c.1600 and later. A cross-wing attached to,
and formerly a part of, the adjoining Holbeck House. Timber-framed and
plastered; the upper floor of the wing was originally jettied on 2 adjacent
sides, and a short section is still unaltered and exposed. Plaintiled roofs
with axial and external chimneys of red brick. 2 storeys and attics. C19
small-pane sashes, those at ground storey also with hinged panelled shutters.
6-panelled entrance door with shallow oblong fanlight. The house contains the
cross-passage of the C15 open hall, which is now mainly within Holbeck House.
The service cell was demolished, and the present forward-projecting cross-wing
built in mid C16. The front room has ogee-moulded main beams, and a 4-centred
arched external doorway. Plain crownpost roof and good arch-braced close-
studding. The range was extended rearwards c.1600, and a wing was added to
left in C18.


Listing NGR: TM1335654252

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.