History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Akenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0961 / 52°5'46"N

Longitude: 1.1344 / 1°8'3"E

OS Eastings: 614790

OS Northings: 248834

OS Grid: TM147488

Mapcode National: GBR TM8.KLG

Mapcode Global: VHLBL.MK1Y

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352028

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279194

Location: Akenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP1

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Akenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Whitton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Whitton

Listing Text

AKENHAM
TM 14 NW
7/1 Church of St. Mary
9.12.55
- II*
Church, mediaeval with mid C19 restoration. Nave, chancel, south-west
tower/porch, and south chapel. Mainly flint rubble (plastered chancel walls),
with limestone dressings. Chancel and nave roofs both plaintiled, the latter
with parapet gables. In the north nave wall is a Norman slit window with
attached shafts, very restored (or perhaps renewed) in C19; this window
suggests chat much of the fabric may also be Norman. The chancel has two
pointed lancets and a plain doorway, of late C13 type. A C14 square-headed
window in the north chancel wall. The tower was added in late C14 athwart the
south doorway, which was re-formed to match the moulded outer doorway; the use
of red brick for the relieving arches is unusually early. Belfrey openings
and flushed flint parapets are restored or rebuilt in C19, but lion-head
gargoyles are original. C15 work includes the canted and ceiled chancel roof,
east window with grotesque corbels, and 2 similar restored windows in nave.
South chapel added C16 in red brick with parapets and stuccoed mullioned and
transomed windows; C19 slated roof. C15 octagonal limestone font, the sunk
panels on bowl and stem containing tracery.


Listing NGR: TM1479048834

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.