History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Water Run Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonham Earl, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2027 / 52°12'9"N

Longitude: 1.0675 / 1°4'2"E

OS Eastings: 609708

OS Northings: 260483

OS Grid: TM097604

Mapcode National: GBR TKV.SVC

Mapcode Global: VHL9Z.GW5T

Entry Name: Water Run Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352035

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279333

Location: Stonham Earl, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Earl

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Old Newton

Listing Text

EARL STONHAM BLACKSMITH'S LANE
TM 06 SE
1/84
- Water Run Farmhouse
- II

Former farmhouse; circa 1600, incorporating part of a late C15 or early C16
house. 2 storeys. 3-cell cross-passage entrance plan. Timber-framed and
plastered. Thatched roof with axial chimney of red brick. C19 and C20 small-
pane casements. Boarded entrance door. To left is a substantial 2-bay C15
solar cross-wing with massive framing: arch-braced studwork with a blocked
diamond-mullioned window and evidence for others with square mullions. Very
heavy unchamfered upper floor joists. A blocked doorway, formerly with an
arched head, led into a hall once standing to left of the present house. A
strongly cambered arch-braced tie-beam at the open truss. The roof was of
coupled-rafter form until replaced with a butt-purlin roof in C18. The front
gable of the wing was originally jettied. Circa 1600, new hall and parlour
cells were built with good plain framing; close-studding and side-purlin roof.
The earlier wing then became the service cell; in C18 the coupled-rafter roof
was replaced by a butt-purlin roof in line with the main range.


Listing NGR: TM0970860483

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.