History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitegate Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Creeting St. Mary, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1726 / 52°10'21"N

Longitude: 1.1009 / 1°6'3"E

OS Eastings: 612134

OS Northings: 257238

OS Grid: TM121572

Mapcode National: GBR TL8.P5D

Mapcode Global: VHLB6.1NBB

Entry Name: Whitegate Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279315

Location: Creeting St. Mary, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Creeting St. Mary

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Creeting St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Crowfield

Listing Text

CREETING ST. MARY NORWICH ROAD
TM 15 NW
5/66 Whitegate Farmhouse
-
- II

Farmhouse. Built in two stages, C16 and early C17. Major mid C19
alterations. 3-cell cross-passage entrance plan. 2 storeys. Timber-framed,
the front elevation encased in mid C19 red brick (other walls pebble-dashed).
Slated C19 roof with carved bargeboards; C17 axial chimney, plastered and
recapped in red brick (a C19 external red brick chimney to left). C19 small-
pane sashes, and a pair of French windows to the parlour. C19 4-panelled
entrance door at the cross-passage position. Timber-framing well exposed
internally; the C16 hall and service cells with arch wind-braced studding, and
the C17 parlour block with slenderer but closely-spaced studding. Other C17
work includes: main beams ovolo-moulded with leaf stops, a chimney between
hall and parlour with an original arched and ovolo-moulded chamber fireplace,
several good plank doors, and inserted attics throughout. A C18 parlour
corner cupboard with fretted shelves. A rear wing comprising dairy and
backhouse with cheeseroom and granary above was added in C19.


Listing NGR: TM1213457238

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.