History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Creeting Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Creeting St. Peter or West Creeting, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1707 / 52°10'14"N

Longitude: 1.0386 / 1°2'19"E

OS Eastings: 607888

OS Northings: 256850

OS Grid: TM078568

Mapcode National: GBR TL5.Z9L

Mapcode Global: VHKDP.YPGS

Entry Name: Creeting Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352073

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279323

Location: Creeting St. Peter or West Creeting, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Creeting St. Peter or West Cre

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Creeting St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

CREETING ST. PETER MILL LANE
TM 05 NE
4/74 Creeting Hall
-
9-12-55
- II*

Former manor house, now subdivided into two dwellings, of which one is a
farmhouse. Mid C16 with alterations of C17 and c.1828. A large 3-cell house,
both end cells being of cross-wing form. 2 storeys. Ground storey walls are
of C16 red brick with diaperwork in burnt headers. Upper storey walling
timber-framed and plastered with some early C19 cable-pattern pargetting. The
garden elevation was formerly the entrance front; both cross-wings are jettied
on this side at 1st floor, with heavily moulded fascia-bressumers. At the
rear of the parlour wing is exposed close studding; the gable tie-beam is
jettied on brackets and moulded. Plaintiled roofs (the hipped cross-wings
were gabled until C19). An axial c.1600 chimney of red brick has a sawtooth
shaft; another at the rear rises from a brick gable, with a group of 3
octagonal shafts. At 1st storey are C19 small-pane sashes and at ground
storey various C19 and C20 casements, some with segmental brick heads. In the
parlour wing is an original window with a flat splayed brick head, and wooden
cavetto-moulded mullions in a subframe. In the rear re-entrant angles of both
cross-wings are original lean-to roofed staircase towers. Between them is a
C19 brick lean-to outshut, scratch-dated "EW 1828"; small-pane sashes and a
C20 panelled entrance door. Many good interior features: a rear cross-passage
entrance doorway, moulded and formerly with an arched head; other internal
doorways also moulded, and some with arched heads. Moulded floor beams over
hall and parlour, the former with roll-and-ogee, the latter double-chamfered.
High quality close-studding, but also some later box-framed partitioning with
very large panels. Two newel staircases. Good wind-braced butt-purlin roof;
but unusually, with an intergral section of crownpost roofing. Open
fireplaces have depressed arches carved from the soffits of deep cambered
lintels. Some early C17 panelling, and a little bolection-moulded joinery of
c.1700.


Listing NGR: TM0788856850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.