History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Yaxley Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yaxley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3278 / 52°19'40"N

Longitude: 1.0925 / 1°5'32"E

OS Eastings: 610822

OS Northings: 274475

OS Grid: TM108744

Mapcode National: GBR TJJ.118

Mapcode Global: VHL9D.WRDB

Entry Name: Yaxley Manor House

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352106

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279615

Location: Yaxley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Yaxley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Yaxley St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 17 SW
3/157 Yaxley Manor House
- II*

Part of this item falls in Mellis Civil Parish. Farmhouse. c.1520 probably
for J. Fanner, service wing added c.1600 and altered mid C17 for Felgate
family, altered c.1910. Timber frame, Fletton brick cased and colourwashed on
ground floor, roughcast with sham timber framing on first floor. Steeply
pitched plaintiled roofs. A large 6 bay 3 cell range with an added service
cross wing extending forward to right to form an L on plan. All 2 storeys and
attics. Continuously jettied front to main range. Ground floor: entrance in
original position in a C20 brick projection replacing original porch and
retaining original 4-centred arched panelled door, carved spandrels with
initials I.F., restored roll moulded surround with Gothic 7-light fanlight,
outer 4-centred arch with initialed spandrels on restored roll moulded and
shafted pilasters. Recessed casement windows, 3 lights to hall, 4 lights to
parlour, in front of stack a C20 lean-to projection with a 2-light window.
Original heavily roll moulded bressumer to jettied first floor with 3-light
glazing bar casements. Boxed eaves. C17 axial ridge stack with 5 conjoined
hexagonal shafts. Brick cased left gable end with attic light and
bargeboards. Service wing to right has a slightly lower ridge with an
entrance in second bay from front, first floor casements. Internal ridge stack
to front gable end with C20 tile hanging and bargeboards. Right return all
brick cased with an entrance in second bay, recessed 2 and 3-light segmental
headed casements. Gable end to rear of service wing extending slightly
further than main range which is all brick cased with segmental headed
casements to rear. Interior: panelled entrance porch originally opened
straight into hall with elaborately and continuously roll moulded crossed
binding beams and storey posts, triple roll mould in cavetto and stop
chamfered joists, early C17 panelling with a fluted pilaster with a strapwork
capital, a 4-centred arched doorway leads to stairs behind stack and to
parlour with an axial quadruple roll moulded binding beam, roll moulded mid-
rails. Doorway from hall to service end has a 4 centred arched head with
carved rose and pomegranate spandrels, roll moulded surround. First floor
arched braces from jowled posts to cambered tie beams, wallplates and tie
beams are chamfered and lightly roll moulded, axial binding beams. Crown post
roof over hall and service bays, chamfered square crown posts, 2 way
longitudinal arched braces, largely removed, struts from tie beams to collars.
Parlour reroofed in C17 with double purlins, lower butt purlins, upper purlins
clasped by collars. Service wing has close studding, stop chamfered binding
beams, first floor moulded posts, cut arched braces to tie beams, some
panelling, double butt purlin roof with collars to principal rafters, ridge
piece. Grade II* for interior details. (East Anglian Miscellany, 1918, p.87).

Listing NGR: TM1082274475

This asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of Mellis at list entry 1032818. This list entry was removed from the List on 28/01/2016.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.