History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Valley Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Helmingham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1797 / 52°10'46"N

Longitude: 1.2041 / 1°12'14"E

OS Eastings: 619156

OS Northings: 258332

OS Grid: TM191583

Mapcode National: GBR VMQ.C78

Mapcode Global: VHLB7.TGFX

Entry Name: Valley Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352124

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279713

Location: Helmingham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Helmingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Helmingham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Otley

Listing Text

HELMINGHAM IPSWICH ROAD
TM 15 NE
4/94 Valley Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse, built in 2 distinct sections; an early C19 front range, and a
parallel rear range consisting of a 3-cell open hall house of c.1500, retained
as service accommodation. Front range: red brick. Hipped plaintiled roof
with rear chimneys of red brick. 2 storeys, 3 windows. C19 window openings
with cambered heads: 4-light C20 casements with transomes. Prominent 2-storey
entrance porch with parapet gable and obelisk finials; a large round-headed
window lights the staircase hall behind. A lower porch is attached at the
front, with a similar gable and with an arched opening; 6-panelled inner
doorway. Rear range of 2 storeys. Timber framed and plastered. Hipped
pantiled roof with axial chimney of red brick. The open hall has an open
truss with a cambered tie beam and one of a pair of large chamfered arch-
braces rising from a pilaster shaft. A mutilated pair of 4-centred arched
service doorways. Most of the original partition walling is removed, but arch
windbraced studwork to external walls is quite complete. Evidence for a
crownpost roof; the smoke-blackened rafters are reused in the C19 roof. An
upper floor was inserted into the hall in c.1600.


Listing NGR: TM1915658332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.