History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Johns Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Battisford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1489 / 52°8'56"N

Longitude: 0.9889 / 0°59'20"E

OS Eastings: 604588

OS Northings: 254282

OS Grid: TM045542

Mapcode National: GBR SK5.BTH

Mapcode Global: VHKDW.374Z

Entry Name: St Johns Manor House

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279777

Location: Battisford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Battisford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Battisford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ringshall

Listing Text

BATTISFORD CHURCH ROAD
TM 05 SW

5/2 St. John's Manor House
-

- II

Farmhouse, c.1570 with alterations principally of mid C19. Possibly for Dame
Anne, wife of Sir Thomas Gresham, Lord of the Battisford and St. John's Manors
and the founder of the Royal Exchange. Of cross-passage entrance plan, and of
3 conventional cells apart from the inclusion of a kitchen to the north, and a
small earlier rear service wing. 2 storeys and attics. Timber-framed, mainly
encased in mid C19 gault brick, but with plasterwork at rear and side.
Plaintiled roof with two axial chimneys of red brick; the one to right has a
C17 sawtooth shaft; there was formerly at the base a terracotta panel bearing
the Arms of Sir Richard Russell, Master of the Preceptory of the Knights
Hospitallers here in c.1530. Mid C19 windows with flat arches of gauged
brick; sashes with large panes. 4-panelled C19 entrance door with oblong
fanlight at cross-entry position. In the hall are exposed moulded beams and
joists of c.1570, and a C17 lintelled open fireplace. Good close-studding.
Wind-braced butt purlin roof with many rafters reused from a large open hall
of late C13 or early C14: massive well-cut rafters with mortices for collars
and one pair trenched for the ends of passing-braces. Other terracotta panels
in the cellar are probably reset from a feature in brickwork of c.1530 (see
above). The house is built upon the moated site of the Preceptory of the
Knights Hopsitallers founded here in c.1154 and dissolved in 1540. Chancery
Proceedings, temp. Elizabeth I, relate to payment for "repairs" to this house,
which appears in fact to have been virtually rebuilt (apart from the small
wing of early C16 referred to above), for Dame Anne Gresham.


Listing NGR: TM0464354189

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.