History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Coach House

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Finborough, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1831 / 52°10'59"N

Longitude: 0.9467 / 0°56'48"E

OS Eastings: 601547

OS Northings: 257962

OS Grid: TM015579

Mapcode National: GBR SJR.062

Mapcode Global: VHKDN.CDB9

Entry Name: The Coach House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352161

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279889

Location: Great Finborough, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Great Finborough

Built-Up Area: Great Finborough

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Great Finborough St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Buxhall

Listing Text

GREAT FINBOROUGH FINBOROUGH PARK
TM 05 NW
2/114 The Coach House (formerly
listed with Finborough
9.12.55 Hall as stables)

GV II

A terrace of three dwellings, built mid C18 as stabling and coach house for
Finborough Hall and converted c.1980. Red brick with modillioned course at
eaves. At the right hand end is a stuccoed Flemish gable, possibly a C19
alteration. The left hand gable has an original brick parapet with internal
end chimney. Slated roof with 12 segmental-headed casement dormers, most
being felted but 3 retaining original lead cladding. At the centre of the
ridge is a good original timber-framed and boarded clock tower: rusticated
base, and a panel bearing a circle on each side with a clock attached to the
south side. The octagonal bell turret has arcaded alternate faces, a leaded
pyramid roof and a weather-vane. To right of centre on the south side is a
carriage entrance with an arched head of gauged brick. A series of arches
along the facade, 7 to left and 4 to right of entrance: one has a pointed
arch, the others have round arches of gauged brick, linked by a band of raised
brickwork at the springing level. Most arches are infilled by C20 casements
and boarded doors; the left hand bay was perhaps always domestic in use,
having an early C19 small-pane sash. Attached to left is a slated original
lean-to with a similar arch containing an original small-pane casement.


Listing NGR: TM0154757962

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.