History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Onehouse Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Onehouse, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1938 / 52°11'37"N

Longitude: 0.9498 / 0°56'59"E

OS Eastings: 601710

OS Northings: 259168

OS Grid: TM017591

Mapcode National: GBR SJK.DYV

Mapcode Global: VHKDN.D4Z1

Entry Name: Onehouse Hall

Listing Date: 24 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352165

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279920

Location: Onehouse, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Onehouse

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Onehouse St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

ONEHOUSE LOWER ROAD
TM 05 NW

2/145 Onehouse Hall

24.6.86

GV II

Farmhouse, formerly manor house. Mid C16, with major alterations, principally
of early C17 and 1887. 2 storeys and attics. The main C16 range is aligned
north-south: timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roof with an axial
chimney, the shaft rebuilt in C19 red brick with diagonally-set square flues.
Mid C19 small-pane sashes at 1st storey, mid C20 casements below. C20 gabled
entrance porch with panelled door. A 2-cell cross wing added early C17 to
south end: timber-framed, encased in brick and extended both ends in red brick
in 1887, as dated on west gable; all external features described below are of
this date. Pilasters and bands of gault brick in the Estate style of Great
Finborough Hall. 3 gablets on the south side, with sash windows. Two axial
chimneys of red brick: one with a diagonally-set cruciform shaft, the other
with circular twin shafts of moulded terracotta tiles forming diaper
patterning in high relief. Concrete lintelled openings with C20 small-pane
casements. The C16 range has some massive unmoulded framing exposed, and
clasped-purlin roof much altered in C19. The C17 range has altered arched
fireplaces and a butt-purlin roof, the framing mainly concealed. Two arms
remain of a probably medieval moat. Queen Elizabeth I is believed to have
visited in August 1578.


Listing NGR: TM0171059168

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.