History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ebbs House

A Grade II Listed Building in Combs, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1635 / 52°9'48"N

Longitude: 0.9691 / 0°58'8"E

OS Eastings: 603164

OS Northings: 255848

OS Grid: TM031558

Mapcode National: GBR SJY.CSX

Mapcode Global: VHKDN.RW5B

Entry Name: Ebbs House

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352170

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279832

Location: Combs, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Combs

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Combs St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text

COMBS BILDESTON ROAD
TM 05 NW

2/57 Ebbs House (formerly
listed as Ebbs Farmhouse)
9.12.55

GV II

Former farmhouse, c.1530 with alterations of late C16 and c.1970. 2 storeys.
Timber-framed and plastered; the front elevation is long-wall jettied with
exposed supporting knee-braces and joist-ends. Plaintiled roofs; two axial
chimneys of red brick with rebuilt C19 shafts of red brick. C19 and C20
small-pane casements. An original oriel window has a carved hammer head on
the cill, flanked by a lion to left and a gryffon to right; the return face of
the cill has on either side a shield bearing a merchant-mark, said to be that
of one Hebbe, a wool merchant in Combs. The original entrance doorway has a
4-centred arched head whose spandrels are carved with leaves and a shield
bearing the same merchant mark. The framing exposed internally is unmoulded:
unchamfered floor joists, close studding and diamond-mullion window evidence;
there was once a second oriel in the hall matching the one in the chamber
above. Crownpost roof, mainly rebuilt in C20, but square posts with thin 2-
way braces survive. The plan form of the original house is unconventional:
the main entrance doorway opens into the service end, not the hall, and there
is an additional cell here which may have been a shop. A wide open fireplaces
with cambered lintel in the hall. The cross-wing to left was added in later
C16, and there are 2 plastered arched fireplaces of early C17. Associated
with an incomplete medieval moat.


Listing NGR: TM0316455848

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.