History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rookery House

A Grade II Listed Building in Battisford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.147 / 52°8'49"N

Longitude: 0.9539 / 0°57'13"E

OS Eastings: 602200

OS Northings: 253966

OS Grid: TM022539

Mapcode National: GBR SK4.7ZL

Mapcode Global: VHKDV.H94H

Entry Name: Rookery House

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279858

Location: Battisford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Battisford

Built-Up Area: Battisford Tye

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Little Finborough St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ringshall

Listing Text

COMBS MILL ROAD, BATTISFORD
TM 05 SW

5/83 Rookery House
-
- II

Former farmhouse. Built in 2 stages: a C15 or perhaps late C14 range of 1½
storeys, and a range of 2 storeys and attics added 1752 as dated on chimney.
Timber-framed and roughcast. Thatched roofs, the medieval section to left is
hipped. Axial chimneys of red brick, that to right is inscribed with the
initials ID above the date 1753 on a terracotta plaque. Mainly mid C20 small-
pane casements. The left hand section comprises an altered open hall with
service cell. The hall open truss is almost entirely missing, but there is a
smoke-encrusted coupled-rafter roof. Very widely spaced studding for Suffolk,
with reversed arch windbracing at the corners; a splayed scarf joint with
under-squinted and sallied butts in the rear wallplate suggests a probable C14
date. An inserted C17 chimney backs onto the cross-entry. Mid C20 internal
alterations. The C18 range is of 2 cells with back-to-back fireplaces; the
hall is built on the site of the original parlour cell.


Listing NGR: TM0220053966

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.