History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Charles Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ringshall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.1443 / 52°8'39"N

Longitude: 0.9702 / 0°58'12"E

OS Eastings: 603328

OS Northings: 253713

OS Grid: TM033537

Mapcode National: GBR SK5.D43

Mapcode Global: VHKDV.RCRK

Entry Name: Charles Hall

Listing Date: 22 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352189

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279938

Location: Ringshall, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Ringshall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ringshall St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 05 SW

5/163 Charles Hall
- II

Former manor house, now a farmhouse subdivided into 2 dwellings. Circa c.1500
with mid C16 and early C17 alterations. 2 storeys. 3-cell cross-entry plan
with central open hall. Timber-framed and plastered. Plaintiled roofs.
Axial chimneys, rebuilt in mid C19 in gault brick: octagonal shafts with
concave faces, that to the hall having a single flue, that to the parlour wing
with two. Casements of c.1960. C20 entrance doorways; one with a gabled
plaintiled porch is at the cross-entry position. The 2-bay open hall has a
central open truss: a cambered tiebeam (arch-braces missing) and an octagonal
crownpost without capital, with 2-way plank braces. The roof is complete and
has moderate smoke-blackening. Good close-studding. Twin service room
doorways: one blocked, the other damaged but with part of a chamfered 4-
centred arch. In mid C16 a wide open fireplace with cambered lintel was
placed against the cross-entry, and a fine inserted ceiling in the hall, with
moulded joists and beams. In early C17 a parlour block of cross-wing form was
added to left; it has an ovolo-moulded briding beam and vesigial wind-braced
butt-purlin roof. The originally hipped roofed service cell was extended to
right in C16/C17. Thomas Charles held the manor in c.1250; the house is
associated with an incomplete medieval moat.

Listing NGR: TM0332853713

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.