History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn 80 Metres South West of Ringshall Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ringshall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1351 / 52°8'6"N

Longitude: 0.9835 / 0°59'0"E

OS Eastings: 604279

OS Northings: 252736

OS Grid: TM042527

Mapcode National: GBR SKC.3GV

Mapcode Global: VHKDW.0L8K

Entry Name: Barn 80 Metres South West of Ringshall Hall

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352190

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279941

Location: Ringshall, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Ringshall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ringshall St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ringshall

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/12/2012


TM 05 SW
5/166
9.12.55


RINGSHALL
STOWMARKET ROAD
Barn, 80m south-west of Ringshall Hall


II*


Possibly originally a manorial court hall, converted into a barn,
again being converted (1993) into a house. Circa later C16, converted
circa C18 and 1993. Weatherboarded and plastered timber frame and
brick plinth. Roman pantile roof with gabled ends, hipped over
midstrey and corrugated sheet steel over outshuts. Plan: 7 bays. The
centre 3 bays open to the roof, the 2 bay ends originally floored with
chambers over; the W end 2 bays are wider. The floors removed and a
midstrey built on the S front to east of centre probably in C18. Later
outshuts on the S side. Exterior: Single storey (1993). N front:
Weatherboarded on right, plastered and weatherboarded on left and with
large cart entrance to left of centre with plank double doors. S
elevation, plastered and on left weatherboarded, weatherboarded hipped
roof midstrey to right of centre and outshuts to left and right.
Interior: Open to roof and with no partitions (1993). Timber frame is
largely intact. Wall-posts, sole and wall-plates, midrail and close-
studding with some tension braces. Curved braces to tie-beams, 2 tiers
of side purlins, tenoned (butt) lower purlins and upper purlins with
curved wind-braces and clasped above the collars; later ridge purlin.
Several diamond mullion windows rebated for glass including large
first floor windows in bays 1 and 2 at east end. No part of the roof
is smoke-blackened.
Note: The manor of Ringshall was inherited by Sir Thomas Gresham from
his mother, widow of Sir Richard Gresham and it is thought that Sir
Thomas might have built this building.

Listing NGR: TM0427952736

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.