History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stuston Place Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Stuston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3608 / 52°21'38"N

Longitude: 1.1229 / 1°7'22"E

OS Eastings: 612733

OS Northings: 278231

OS Grid: TM127782

Mapcode National: GBR THZ.W4Y

Mapcode Global: VHL97.DXZK

Entry Name: Stuston Place Farm House

Listing Date: 17 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352254

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280396

Location: Stuston, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP21

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stuston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stuston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stuston

Listing Text

STUSTON OLD BURY ROAD (NORTH SIDE)
TM 17 NW
2/107 Stuston Place Farm House
-
-- II

Farmhouse. c.1600, extended C18, cased, extended, part raised and altered mid
C19. Timber frame. Largely cased and extended in red brick, some plastering.
Steeply pitched machine tiled roofs. Originally an L on plan with
kitchen/dairy additions to left to form a T. 2 storeys and attics. Front
range is 2 large cells with a central entrance into a cross passage behind
hall stack. C19 part glazed, part panelled recessed door, doorcase with
panelled jambs, bracketed cornice with pendant drops. To left a 1 storey
canted sashed bay window with cornice to flat head, to right and on first
floor recessed single glazing bar sashes, ground floor gauged brick flat
arched head with stone key block. Plinth, boxed eaves. Cross axial ridge
stacks rebuilt with oversailing caps, at original left end and to right of
entrance. Roof raised to front, lower eaves to rear, right gable end attic
sash. Main block to rear and inner return of parlour wing have sashes in red
brick with some C20 casements, ground floor French windows and a cross passage
door opening into a C20 conservatory. 2 bay parlour wing extending to rear
left has slightly higher ridge and eaves with a hip to rear. Outer elevation
is plastered with a large external stack with offsets. C18 kitchen addition
to left front is 2 storeys with a lower ridge and shallower pitch to roof.
Red brick to front, an entrance to right, mixed fenestration, ground floor
cambered heads, plastered to rear. Further extended to left in C19 with a
ridge stack between 2 builds. Interior: ovolo moulded cross axial binding
beams throughout, hall has close studding, an original large window frame,
ovolo moulded with king mullion, intermediate diamond mullions, parlour has
shaped jowled storey posts, ogee stop chamfered binding beam in kitchen,
double side purlin roofs, butt purlins, curved windbraces, upper clasped
purlins to front range. Attached to kitchen wing and projecting forward into
yard is a C19 1 storey outbuilding, rendered clay lump with quoined red brick
dressings, slate roof. 3 bay dairy with 2 entrances and a stack, a range of
sheds with 2 doors, mixed casements.


Listing NGR: TM1273378231

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.