This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2314 / 52°13'53"N
Longitude: 1.0328 / 1°1'57"E
OS Eastings: 607204
OS Northings: 263578
OS Grid: TM072635
Mapcode National: GBR TKL.3XY
Mapcode Global: VHKDH.V5BR
Entry Name: Chapel of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352278
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280524
Location: Gipping, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Gipping
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Old Newton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
GIPPING CHAPEL GREEN
TM 06 SE
5/42 Chapel of St. Nicholas
Free chapel, built as a private chapel c.1474-80 for Sir James Tyrell of
Gipping Hall. Since 1743, a free chapel administered by trustees. Nave and
chancel; north vestry added soon after, and west tower in late C16. Walling
entirely of a chequerboard pattern of squared limestone rubble and knapped
flint (many of the flint panels instead have brown septaria). Freestone
dressings. Plaintiled roofs. 4-centred arched windows with transomes and
traceried heads. The south doorway has floral carved spandrels to the arch,
and the twin windows above have linking flushwork patterning. C18 panelled
doors. The buttresses also have flushwork panels and a number of carved
designs in freestone. The vestry is of very similar form and detail: in the
north gable is a chimney intended to appear as a splayed oriel window, with
false mullions and tracery, including heraldic shields carved at the head.
The vestry has a private external doorway with an inscription carved into the
chamfered arched head which reads "PRAY FOR SIR JAMYS TIRELL DAME ANNE HIS
WYE". The north doorway retains its original battened plank door. The tower
is entirely plastered and probably of brick fabric: plastered mullioned
windows and doorway and parapets. Interior: flat ceiling with cambered
tiebeams, arch braces rising from shafted wallposts, and moulded cornice and
purlins; the pitched roof above is believed to be a later alteration. Rood
loft stairway to south of plain chancel arch. C15 font with circular bowl and
octagonal stem. Sets of 4 and 5 original pews with a little carving.
Interior remodelling of mid C18: panelled box pews and polygonal pulpit, altar
rails and several doors. A fine painted trompe d'oeuil surround to the east
window with draped columns and a swag. Fine but jumbled original stained
glass in the east window. An C18 hatchment at the west end. For full
illustrated description:- The Chapel of St. Nicholas, Gipping, Suffolk: Proc.
Suffolk Inst. Arch. Vol. XX: Philip J. Turner, FRIBA, FRAIC.
Listing NGR: TM0720463578
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings