History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rookery Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Gipping, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.223 / 52°13'22"N

Longitude: 1.0515 / 1°3'5"E

OS Eastings: 608520

OS Northings: 262702

OS Grid: TM085627

Mapcode National: GBR TKM.NMV

Mapcode Global: VHL9Z.5DQ5

Entry Name: Rookery Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352279

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280530

Location: Gipping, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Gipping

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Old Newton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 06 SE

5/48 Rookery Farmhouse


Farmhouse, c.1530 with alterations of early C17 and early C19. 2 storeys and
attics. 3-cell cross-entry plan. Timber-framed and plastered; the ground
storey walling and the left hand gable are rebuilt in C19 red brick. Concrete
tiled roof, once thatched. An axial chimney of C16 or early C17 orange and
buff brick; a C19 gable chimney of red brick to left. Mid C20 2-light
casements at 1st storey; two C18 3-light casements with transomes at ground
storey, one replaced in late C20. Boarded C20 entrance doors. A high quality
building of c.1530. The hall has ogee-and-scotia moulded joists and a massive
binding beam with deep multiple mouldings. A fine but incomplete C16 plank-
and-muntin cross-passage screen has been moved slightly to right in late C18
and a good cupboard with fluted pilasters and carved shelves incorporated. An
original wide hall fireplace has a cambered lintel and sunk panels of red
brickwork over. One of a pair of service room doorways has a 4-centred arched
head, the other is restored. Heavy unchamfered joists in the service cell to
left. The 1st floor layout is unusual: a large 2-bay chamber over the service
cell extends partly over the hall, with a good archbraced cambered and
chamfered tiebeam. Very closely spaced studding. An original lintelled
fireplace to the parlour, but the parlour cell was rebuilt in C17: reused
medieval floor joists, and a heavily moulded bridging beam of C15 or early
C16. The chamber above has C18 stencilled wall decoration in black vertical
lines; abstract patterns of intertwined foliage. Clasped-purlin roof of early
C17 with reduced principal rafters.

Listing NGR: TM0852062702

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.