History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tot Hill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Haughley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.208 / 52°12'28"N

Longitude: 0.9758 / 0°58'32"E

OS Eastings: 603418

OS Northings: 260820

OS Grid: TM034608

Mapcode National: GBR SJD.FJ6

Mapcode Global: VHKDG.VRPP

Entry Name: Tot Hill House

Listing Date: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352282

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280543

Location: Haughley, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Haughley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Haughley The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 06 SW

Tot Hill House

Farmhouse; early C17, with C16 core. Major remodelling c.1820. Two storeys and attics. Three-cell cross-entry plan. Three windows. Timber-framed, the front elevation encased in gault brick with dentil course beneath the eaves; other walls plastered. Slated roof with three early C19 segmental-headed lead-clad dormers; small-pane sashes. Early or mid C17 axial chimney of red brick with sawtooth shaft. Windows of c.1820 with cambered heads of gauged brick; flush frames and small-pane sashes. Doorway at cross-entry position; a six-panelled door with lower panels fielded and the upper pair glazed. The hall and service cells are probably of C16 origin, with evidence for a formerly much lower eaves-line. he parlour block to right is an addition or rebuilding of c.1600 with very closely-spaced studding, an ovolo-moulded bridging beam and an ovolo-mullioned window. Large back-to-back fireplaces in parlour and hall, the latter blocked. The remodelling of c.1820 includes a rear outshut two storeys high.

Listing NGR: TM0341860820

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.