History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bacton Hall with Garden Wall Attached to South West Corner

A Grade II Listed Building in Bacton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2509 / 52°15'3"N

Longitude: 0.972 / 0°58'19"E

OS Eastings: 602964

OS Northings: 265579

OS Grid: TM029655

Mapcode National: GBR SHT.SP2

Mapcode Global: VHKD8.SPQ9

Entry Name: Bacton Hall with Garden Wall Attached to South West Corner

Listing Date: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352288

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280483

Location: Bacton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Bacton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bacton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Elmswell

Listing Text

BACTON BACTON GREEN
TM 06 NW

1/1 Bacton Hall, with garden
wall attached to south-
- west corner

- II

Farmhouse, formerly manor house. Circa 1550. Alterations of C17 and later.
2 storeys. 3-cell plan, originally with cross-entry. Timber-framed with
concealed bricknogging with a parapet gable of red brick at the south end.
The upper part of the gable was rebuilt C18/C19. The brick gable at the
north end is probably of C17 with later alterations. Circa 1930 the front
elevation was encased in gault brick. Plaintiled roof. An axial late C16
or early C17 chimney of red brick with sawtooth shaft. Mid C20 small pane
casements with segmental arched heads at ground storey. A slated lean-to
roofed entrance and staircase porch of C19 gault brick with half glazed
door. At the rear, amongst later outshuts is a gabled 2 storey timber-
framed and bricknogged C16 structure, probably a staircase tower. (A good
quality staircase was believed to have been removed from the house in late
C19). In the hall are good roll-moulded 1st floor joists and double-ogee
moulded beams; the parlour is similar but with different mouldings. Back-
to-back lintelled open fireplaces. High quality arch wind-braced close-
studding. The attic at the parlour end (south) is original with good
chamfered floor joists; the other attics were inserted in C17. A 10 meter
length of C16 garden wall runs south-westwards from the south-west corner
of the house: red brick with diaper patterning of burnt headers, brick cap-
pings, and 2 openings like splayed windows. A partial medieval moat.


Listing NGR: TM0296465579

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.