History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of King Charles the Martyr

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shelland, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2039 / 52°12'13"N

Longitude: 0.9306 / 0°55'50"E

OS Eastings: 600352

OS Northings: 260228

OS Grid: TM003602

Mapcode National: GBR SJB.VGB

Mapcode Global: VHKDG.2VTX

Entry Name: Church of King Charles the Martyr

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352321

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280650

Location: Shelland, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Shelland

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Shelland King Charles the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Woolpit

Listing Text

SHELLAND SHELLAND GREEN
TM 06 SW

4/167 Church of King Charles
09/12/55 the Martyr

-- II*

Parish church; medieval core but remodelled 1646 for Thomas Cropley, and
virtually rebuilt 1767 for Richard Ray, whose coat of arms with date are over
the east window. Nave, chancel, north porch, south vestry. The nave has the
medieval core; the chancel was rebuilt and the north porch and south vestry
was added, all in 1767. The nave walls are of stuccoed masonry with medieval
freestone quoins, apart from the east wall which, like the chancel, was
rebuilt 1767 with quoins of gault brick. The porch has an outer doorway of
gault brick moulded in the Gothic manner. Concrete plaintiled roofs with
parapet gables of gault brick. Above the west gable is an C18 bell turrett
with a leaded ogee cap. 4 plain Y-traceried windows and 2 lancets, all of
freestone in the manner of early C14, but perhaps C18 renewals. The butt-
purlin nave roof is probably of 1646. The interior is entirely of 1767: east
window in the Perpendicular style. Complete box pews, with a matching triple-
decker pulpit. Rails at the chancel arch and sanctuary. Good mid C14
octagonal limestone font; the bowl has carved foliate patterns and shields,
and the stem a moulded capital and base. The ogee cover of 1767 has a
pineapple finial. In the chancel are 6 marble floor slabs to C17 members of
the Cropley family, and another is in the nave. Arms of George III over the
west window. A fine and rare barrel organ by H. Bryceson of London, c.1810.
The living was donative until 1937.


Listing NGR: TM0035260228

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.