History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Green Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stowupland, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2011 / 52°12'3"N

Longitude: 1.019 / 1°1'8"E

OS Eastings: 606401

OS Northings: 260171

OS Grid: TM064601

Mapcode National: GBR TKS.SJL

Mapcode Global: VHKDH.MY10

Entry Name: Green Farmhouse

Listing Date: 15 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352327

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280680

Location: Stowupland, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stowupland

Built-Up Area: Stowupland

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stowupland Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Old Newton

Listing Text

STOWUPLAND THORNEY GREEN
TM 06 SE

5/197
- Green Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse, c.1500-1530. 3-cell plan, originally with cross-entry. 2 storeys.
Timber-framed and plastered; the first floor is long-wall jettied towards the
green with chamfered knees beneath the jetty. Concrete plaintiled roofs; a
C16 chimney of red brick, the shaft partly rebuilt in C20. Early C19 small-
pane sashes; at ground storey are two early C19 French windows, each pair
having pointed arches formed by the upper row of glazing bars. C20 boarded
entrance door with oblong fanlight, at lobby-entrance position. Good early
C16 framing; heavy unchamfered floor joists, close-studding with blocked 4-
centred-arched cross-entry doorway. A blocked window in the hall has one
roll-and-cavetto mullion, and a blocked but complete window in the parlour has
chamfered square mullions. Crownpost roof: chamfered square crownposts with
2-way braces; the open trusses have short thick 4-centred arch-braces. Set
forward to left is a service cell with heavy plain framing of late C15 type;
this may be a building demolished and re-erected here in C16/C17. Widely-
spaced studding and tie-beams with massive arch braces. Both ranges had
hipped roofs until given gables with clasped-purlins by c.1600.


Listing NGR: TM0640160171

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.