History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Rattlesden, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.1721 / 52°10'19"N

Longitude: 0.8831 / 0°52'59"E

OS Eastings: 597246

OS Northings: 256572

OS Grid: TL972565

Mapcode National: GBR SJN.VDZ

Mapcode Global: VHKDM.8N6P

Entry Name: Pantiles

Listing Date: 18 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352338

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280848

Location: Rattlesden, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Rattlesden

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Rattlesden St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 95 NE
3/95 Pantiles
- II
House, C15 with alterations of late C16 and late C18. The hall and service
cells of a 3-cell open hall house. 2 storeys (until c.1800 of one storey with
attics). Timber-framed and plastered; the south gable encased in C19 red
brick and the north gable partly weatherboarded. Roman pantiled roof. An
axial late C16 or early C17 chimney of red brick. 3-light C18 casements with
leaded lights at 1st storey, mid CiO casements below. Pantiled C19/C20 gabled
entrance porch with boarded door. A 2-bay open hall, with heavy close-
studding of C15 character: at the upper end is a dais beam with a suite of
mouldings and bold embattling. The posts remain from the open truss, which
has otherwise been removed. One of the service rooms has roughly-formed
unchamfered floor joists. In late C16, a wide open fireplace was positioned
backing onto the cross-entry (remodelled in C20), and an upper floor of
chamfered floor joists inserted in the hall. Circa 1800, the external walls
were raised by about a metre and a new roof built at a lower pitch. The
parlour cell once standing at the right hand end was also removed.

Listing NGR: TL9724656572

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.