This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3428 / 52°20'34"N
Longitude: 1.0062 / 1°0'22"E
OS Eastings: 604877
OS Northings: 275890
OS Grid: TM048758
Mapcode National: GBR SGW.373
Mapcode Global: VHKCX.DC9V
Entry Name: Chapel of St Botolph
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Last Amended: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352340
English Heritage Legacy ID: 280751
Location: Botesdale, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Botesdale
Built-Up Area: Rickinghall
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Redgrave cum Botesdale with the Rickinghalls
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BOTESDALE THE STREET, CROWN HILL
(SOUTH EAST SIDE)
6/30 Chapel of St. Botolph
29.7.55 (formerly listed as St.
Chapel of ease. Founded late C14 or early C15 as a chantry, licensed for an
altar and font 1412; rebuilt c.1500, subsequently endowed and again made a
chantry by J. Sherife; converted to use for a Grammar School founded by Sir N.
Bacon in 1576; repaired early C19, reverted to ecclesiastical use in 1883.
Flint rubble, knapped to front, with brick and ashlar dressings. Machine
tiled and pantiled roof continuous with that of Chapel House (q.v.) 4 bays,
nave and chancel in one. Entrance bay to west has an original moulded
panelled door, pointed arch with continuous roll and hollow mouldings,
hoodmould, C19 red and white brick voussoirs; above entrance a stone and
flushwork inscription interrupted by a C19 2-light neo-Perpendicular gallery
window is said to have originally run as follows: "Orate pro animabus Johannis
Schrebe et Juliane uxoris ejus orate pro anima Bregyt Wykes". To left three
3-light Perpendicular windows with cusped headed lights, hoodmoulds, red brick
voussoirs. Offset stone plinth, sprocket eaves, tall 2 stage buttresses,
diagonal to east end which has a 4-light Perpendicular window with ogee cusped
headed lights, coped gable parapet with ridge cross, bell on ridge to west.
To rear 3-light Perpendicular windows as to front; entrance bay has a blocked
pointed arch, continuously roll, hollow and wave moulded with a hoodmould,
above a later 2-light casement; plinth, buttresses as to front. Interior: to
west a blocked triple moulded pointed arch for unbuilt tower. 8 bay roof with
arch braced cambered collars, butt purlins, ridge piece, chamfered main
timbers, on ends of short wallposts are later panels of varying shapes with
masks to west. Original screen separates west end or entrance bay from main
body of chapel, eight 4- centred arches, central opening with restored arches,
roll and wave moulded on west side. Late C17 gallery on broad joists,
panelled frontal with moulded muntins, at top of stairs are 6 original turned
balusters. C17 reredos panelling with C19 brattishing, along north wall early
C19 raised dado panelling. CI9 seating and octagonal font. (Papal Register,
vol.6, 16 June 1412).
Listing NGR: TM0487775890
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings