History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Drinkstone, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2178 / 52°13'4"N

Longitude: 0.8674 / 0°52'2"E

OS Eastings: 595972

OS Northings: 261605

OS Grid: TL959616

Mapcode National: GBR RGQ.XTC

Mapcode Global: VHKDD.ZJD6

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352345

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280782

Location: Drinkstone, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Drinkstone

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Drinkstone All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Woolpit

Listing Text

DRINKSTONE THE STREET
TL 96 SE
1/29 Church of All Saints
-
15.11.54
- II*
Parish church, c.1330-50. Tower added c.1760. Restored by E.C. Hakewill 1866-
72. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. Mainly
random flint rubble with parapet gables and dressings of frees tone. Slated
roofs. The chancel has good windows of c.1330 with net-tracery (east window
restored), one is an insertion of later C14. North priests doorway also
c.1330. Nave and aisles of mid C14, with several 2-light side windows with
segmental-pointed heads and hoodmoulds; carved stonework to copings and
buttresses. Mid C14 porch, much restored: shafted outer doorway. Inner south
doorway of c.1350 with 3 orders of continuous mouldings, and to right an ogee-
headed stoup. Original plank doors with C19 battening. Interior: C14 sedilia
and piscina, much restored. Chancel roof canted and ceiled, possibly rebuilt
C19. Plain chancel arch of c.1350-70, and rood loft stair to south with two
doorways. 3-bay C14 nave arcades: octagonal piers with moulded capitals. In
the south aisle are two mutilated C14 image stools. Some C14 decorated floor
tiles in the nave. Good C15 rood screen, complete up to rood beam and fully
coloured, some of which is unrestored. C13 font: the octagonal bowl has
shallow twin arches on each face and has supporting colonnettes. A C14 tomb
chest with traceried sides is beneath the north arcade. 4 plain C15 poppyhead
benches at rear of nave. Two C18 wall tablets are built into the south aisle
exterior wall face, and another in the west face of the tower. West tower is
entirely of red brick with burnt headers at low level, dentilled bands at
floor levels, and diagonal buttresses. (c.p. Old Rectory, c.1760, Item
No.1/25).


Listing NGR: TL9597261605

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.