History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Millstone House and Two Adjoining Dwellings

A Grade II Listed Building in Felsham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.178 / 52°10'40"N

Longitude: 0.8441 / 0°50'38"E

OS Eastings: 594554

OS Northings: 257116

OS Grid: TL945571

Mapcode National: GBR RH8.J6S

Mapcode Global: VHKDL.LJ26

Entry Name: Millstone House and Two Adjoining Dwellings

Listing Date: 18 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280814

Location: Felsham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Felsham

Built-Up Area: Felsham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Felsham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Rattlesden

Listing Text

FELSHAM UPPER GREEN
TL 95 NW
2/61 Millstone House and
- two adjoining dwellings
- II
A terrace of 3 houses, built as one. Early C16 with alterations of c.1600 and
late C18. 2 storeys and attics. Originally of 3-cell plan. Timber framed
and plastered. Plaintiled roof. An axial C17 chimney of red brick, the upper
shaft rebuilt in C19; a second axial chimney of red brick added in C18. Mid
C20 casements apart from some late C19 or early C20 small-pane casements to
right. Various mid C20 entrance doors. Millstone House has good unmoulded
framing of c.1530-1560. Heavy chamfered main beams and posts and unchamfered
joists. Tension studbraced close-studding with blocked diamond mullioned
windows. C16 crownpost roof: a chamfered square crownpost with 2-way bracing
at one open truss. An altered open truss in the left-hand gable suggests the
house extended in this direction until c.1600. A restored brick-arched and
ovolo-moulded parlour fireplace, and a smaller arched fireplace at 1st storey,
both of c.1600. A small rear wing has reused mid C16 components: a long rib-
moulded mullioned window and roll-moulded ceiling joists; but the wing is an
addition of late C16 or C17 and probably housed a staircase. Circa 1600, the
major remodelling to right of the main chimney included the provision of a
large gable chimney, later rebuilt. A further cell was added to right in late
C18.


Listing NGR: TL9455457116

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.