History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tostock Old Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Tostock, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2392 / 52°14'21"N

Longitude: 0.8747 / 0°52'28"E

OS Eastings: 596378

OS Northings: 264006

OS Grid: TL963640

Mapcode National: GBR RGJ.RXK

Mapcode Global: VHKD7.3ZS9

Entry Name: Tostock Old Hall

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281265

Location: Tostock, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP30

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Tostock

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Tostock St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Elmswell

Listing Text


TL 96 SE TOSTOCK CHURCH ROAD

5/162 Tostock Old Hall
15.11.54

-- II

Former farmhouse and manor house. Late C16 or c.1600, with possible core of
earlier C16, and remodelling of c.1850 in the Gothick manner. 2 storeys and
attics. 3-cell cross-entry plan. 5 windows. Timber-framed and plastered:
the upper floor is long-wall jettied. Plaintiled roof: 3 small gabled
casement dormers of c.1850; two larger dormers have moulded tiebeams and are
of late C16/early C17 origin: acorn drop finials, and at the apex are tall
finials of elongated cage form in the C17 manner. Late C16 external gable
chimneys of red brick with diaper patterning in burnt headers; triple
octagonal shafts with original splayed capping bricks. A further stack at the
rear with 3 similar shafts. Casements of c.1850: at 1st storey 2-light
horizontally-sliding casements; small panes and diamond lights around the
margin: moulded architraves. At ground storey are pairs of French windows of
similar form. Original ovolo-mullioned windows at 3 levels at left-hand
gable. Porch at cross-entry position, gabled with finials matching those at
dormers. C20 glazed panelled inner door. Beneath the jetty are drop finials
of, alternately, cage and acorn form. To rear is a C16/C17 staircase tower
with a leaded glazed cross-window; another narrow wing to rear: various C19
additions at rear give a complete double-pile plan. The rear doorway at the
cross-entry has a late C18/early C19 6-panelled door and fanlight with 4-
centred arched head. Interior not examined: believed to have good internal
features including: fine well staircase with turned balusters, c.1610; fine
fully-panelled chamber with mantelpiece and arcaded panels of early C17; a
number of leaden plaques about 6" in diameter, now fixed to the ceiling of C16
date, with Tudor roses, a portcullis and letters H and A, said to be for Henry
VIII and Anne Boleyn. N.M.R.


Listing NGR: TL9637864006

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.