History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Occold, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2936 / 52°17'36"N

Longitude: 1.1598 / 1°9'35"E

OS Eastings: 615578

OS Northings: 270863

OS Grid: TM155708

Mapcode National: GBR VLB.036

Mapcode Global: VHL9N.2M03

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352447

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281322

Location: Occold, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Occold

Built-Up Area: Occold

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Occold St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Occold

Listing Text

OCCOLD THE STREET
TM 17 SE
1/41 Church of St Michael
29.7.55
GV II*
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1854 and 1877. Nave, chancel, west tower,
south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble, the nave, chancel and porch
rendered. Slated roofs. C15 square tower in 4 stages; crenellated parapet
with stumps of pinnacles. Diagonal buttresses to west, lateral buttresses to
east. Flushwork to plinth, parapet and buttresses. Moulded west doorway, the
arch enriched with fleurons and crowns, now decayed. Renewed 3-light west
window and 2-light belfry openings. Nave has C13 north and south doorways
with plain 2-centred arches. The windows are in Perpendicular style, very
largely C19-C20 renewals; 2 to the south have square heads. The porch is
heavily restored. Chancel has one small C12 window (north); a cinquefoil-
headed lancet window with ballflower-enriched hoodmould and 2 2-light
Perpendicular windows with 4-centre arched Priest's doorway between (south).
3-light east window with intersecting tracery (renewed). Interior. Both nave
and chancel were re-roofed in 1854. The chancel arch rests on large corbel
heads, probably of C14 date. North east nave window has shafted surround and
a canopied statue niche in its east splay. Central south nave window also has
a canopied statue niche in its east splay. In the chancel, the head of the
splay of the south west window is decorated with a band of leaves. Fleuron-
enriched vestry doorway with medieval door. Both nave and chancel have
cinquefoil piscinas. Remains of rood stair in south east nave; opposite is a
blocked doorway to another rood stair. C15 octagonal font, the carving now
lost. Good early C17 carved pulpit with bracketed bookboard and suspended
tester; a date 1620 was probably removed from the backboard. West nave has 8
plain bench-ends, probably medieval. Chancel stalls re-use 4 medieval
traceried panels and 2 poppyhead bench-ends. In the sanctuary is a medieval
misere seat with good carving. Nave floor has effigy brass,to William Corbald
and wife (c.1490). In the tower base is a C17 painted board in memory of
Stephen Humfrey and family. Splay of south west chancel window has C14
painted figure. Arms of Charles II on north nave wall.


Listing NGR: TM1557870863

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.