History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sexton Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Debenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2243 / 52°13'27"N

Longitude: 1.1817 / 1°10'54"E

OS Eastings: 617409

OS Northings: 263220

OS Grid: TM174632

Mapcode National: GBR VM3.KL9

Mapcode Global: VHLB1.FCL7

Entry Name: Sexton Cottage

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Last Amended: 24 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352463

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281516

Location: Debenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Debenham

Built-Up Area: Debenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Debenham St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Debenham

Listing Text

DEBENHAM HIGH STREET (east side)
TM 16 SE
6/92 No.39 (Sextons Cottage)
9.12.55 (formerly listed under
Church Row as Cottage
30yds S. of house called
St Mary's)

GV II

Former house, now used as church rooms. Circa 1530. Timber framed, mid C20
panelled plasterwork with herringbone pargetting. Right gable end of rendered
C19 brick: a section of the house beyond is missing. Roof plaintiled to front
and pantiled to rear. 2 storeys. Upper floor jettied to front and rear, most
of the rear jetty now underbuilt. Original brackets to front jetty. 2
windows, casements with horizontal glazing bars. Central plank door into
original cross-entry. Gable stack to right. Interior. Service bay and lower
bay of hall survive; upper bay of hall and assumed parlour bay lost. Exposed
studding with evidence for original windows. Hall has heavy plain joists; at
the rear there is original trimming for a stack. Joists in service end
concealed. The front half of the service end was used as a shop. Plain
crown-post roof with 2-way bracing. 'Le Towne House' in 1621 survey,
indicating some public use. For drawing of structure, see Mr T. Easton,
Bedfield Hall.


Listing NGR: TM1740963220

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.