History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1-4, Church Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.2577 / 52°15'27"N

Longitude: 1.1152 / 1°6'54"E

OS Eastings: 612705

OS Northings: 266743

OS Grid: TM127667

Mapcode National: GBR TKB.DR8

Mapcode Global: VHL9T.8JX2

Entry Name: 1-4, Church Street

Listing Date: 14 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352498

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281707

Location: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford

Built-Up Area: Wetheringsett

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wetheringsett All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TM 16 NW
3/122 Nos. 1-4 (incl)

4 cottages. An early-mid C16 house, with earlier work to left, probably
included in a bequest to the parish by William Redham in 1553. Parish Poor
House in C17, converted into almshouses in C18. 3 of the dwellings are now in
private ownership. Timber framed, the front wall rebuilt in red brick in mid
C18, the remainder rendered. Roof of concrete pantiles. Main block 2 storeys
and attic; 1½-storey earlier section to left, l½-storey and one-storey in-line
additions to right. Upper floor has a range of 4 C18 2-light casement windows
with diamond-leaded panes. On ground floor, 2-light windows of c.1900, each
light with a single horizontal glazing bar, under segmental arches. 1½-storey
sections each have one raking dormer with windows as ground floor. 5
doorways, all with semi-glazed boarded doors. Old stack set against rear
wall, the shaft partly rebuilt and enlarged; 2 other stacks are probably C18
additions. Interior. Main range has heavy studding with reversed braces,
fully exposed in No.4. Heavy tie beam braces. Chamfered-joist ceiling in
No.4, fully roll-moulded bridging beams in Nos. 2 & 3, the joists plastered
over. Open fireplace against rear wall, mostly within No.3: this is a later
introduction. Old attic stair at rear of No.4. Clasped purlin roof with
arched wind bracing. Earlier work to left: good close studding with remains
of diamond-mullioned gable window; plain joists with original trimming for a
stair; clasped purlin roof.

Listing NGR: TM1270566743

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.