History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Langham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2837 / 52°17'1"N

Longitude: 0.9022 / 0°54'7"E

OS Eastings: 598056

OS Northings: 269024

OS Grid: TL980690

Mapcode National: GBR SHB.T2Q

Mapcode Global: VHKD1.LV9Q

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352527

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281761

Location: Langham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Langham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Langham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Badwell Ash

Listing Text

TL 96 SE LANGHAM

4/16 Church of St Mary
15/11/54
II*


Parish church. C14 and C19. In random kidney flint; freestone dressings.
slack glazed Plaintiles to nave and porch, clay plaintiles to chancel. Nave,
chancel, bellcote at west end, south porch, and a vestry on the south side of
the chancel, all, apart from the chancel, Victorian. Stepped buttresses to
nave, diagonal buttresses to east end of chancel. Ornate crosses at east end,
above chancel arch, and surmounting belfry. Nave, reconstructed in 1877, has
2-light windows with plate tracery, but retains a blocked C14 north doorway
with chamfered continuous arch. C14 chancel: the base of the walls with
alternating squares of black knapped flint and freestone; 2 2-light windows to
north and south with a 4-petalled flower in the cusped traceried heads; 3-
light east window, restored 1887, has a large circle enclosing 4 unencircled
quatrefoils. Interior fittings mainly Victorian. Fine octagonal C14 font,
reminiscent of that at Badwell Ash: high base; shaft with trefoil panelling to
each face; bowl with shields and grotesque faces alternating in ogee-headed
panels; crenellated top. Rood stairs to the north side of the chancel arch.
Fine, but damaged, screen: tracery and remains of colouring on the base; ogee-
headed single light divisions with droplets, and close panel tracery above
them; coving, and part of the traceried loft parapet reset on top. To each
side of the east window a long narrow niche with flamboyant ogee head. A
piscina in the south wall has a restored cusped ogee head with HK 1875
inscribed on it. All the chancel windows have old crown glass, mainly in
diamond leaded panes. On the north wall of nave, a small brass to John Jolley
(d.1630), benefactor of the poor of Langham. The vestry to the south of the
chancel has a crenellated top with plain flushwork panels and an external
doorway which seems to be the C14 priest's doorway reused: a continuous arch
with chamfered moulding and hoodmould.


Listing NGR: TL9805669024

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.