History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Willow Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Thwaite, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2734 / 52°16'24"N

Longitude: 1.1006 / 1°6'2"E

OS Eastings: 611633

OS Northings: 268440

OS Grid: TM116684

Mapcode National: GBR TK3.H2J

Mapcode Global: VHL9T.1452

Entry Name: Willow Hall

Listing Date: 29 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352531

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281676

Location: Thwaite, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Thwaite

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stoke Ash with Thwaite

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wetheringsett

Listing Text

THWAITE NORWICH ROAD
TM 16 NW
3/91 Willow Hall (formerly
29.7.55 listed as Willow
Farmhouse and barn)

-- II
Farmhouse, at one time an inn. C15 core with considerable early C17 additions
(2 phases) and remodelling. Renovated from dereliction in 1970's when some of
frame renewed. A main range parallel to the road with a long cross-wing to
left. Matching gable to right of road frontage is a later alteration. Timber
framed and rendered; exposed first floor studding, mainly to front, the gable
end of the wing with serpentine braces. Plaintiled roof. 2 storeys; small
attic at rear of wing. Continuous jetty to road, supported on jowled posts
and 2 later timber columns. Rear section of wing, roofed at right angles to
remainder, has jettied gables with moulded tie beams and carved console
brackets supporting the ends of the wallplates. Mainly reproduction-style
windows of 1970's, with ovolo mullions. Main range has internal stack with
rebuilt sawtooth shaft. One-storey entrance addition to north of wing.
Interior. Front 2 bays of wing comprise former open hall: inserted ceiling
has chamfered main beam with leaf-carved stops and chamfered joists. A
narrower ceiling bay immediately to the east probably denotes the position of
a timber flue. Original roof lost. Remainder of wing is early C17: ovolo
ceiling beams at east end, 2 original upper windows to south, butt purlin
roof. Later stack against gable end; ground floor fireplace has a good re-
used C16 lintol with embattled ornament and brattishing. In early-mid C17 the
hall was enlarged and a new parlour built to the south, with a stack between.
In front of stack, 2 doorways have ovolo-moulded frames and good moulded
doors. At rear of stack is a newel stair. In parlour chamber is an
indistinct inscription of 1649 painted on the plaster lining of the roof.


Listing NGR: TM1163368440

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.