History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wattisfield Hall, Garden Walls and Gate Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wattisfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3262 / 52°19'34"N

Longitude: 0.9458 / 0°56'44"E

OS Eastings: 600834

OS Northings: 273872

OS Grid: TM008738

Mapcode National: GBR SGZ.5X6

Mapcode Global: VHKCW.BSVM

Entry Name: Wattisfield Hall, Garden Walls and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 15 November 1954

Last Amended: 15 July 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352541

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281838

Location: Wattisfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Wattisfield

Built-Up Area: Wattisfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Wattisfield St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Hepworth

Listing Text

TM 07 SW WATTISFIELD CHAPEL ROAD

3/93 Wattisfield Hall, Garden
15/11/54 Walls and Gate Piers
(formerly listed as Wattisfield
GV Hall and two farms)


II*


Farmhouse, formerly manorial. Early C17. Timber-framed and rendered with
plaintiled roofs. 2 storeys and attics. The main house is in a single long.
range with central entry and gable-end chimnney-stacks. Both stacks are in
red brick, set externally, on the left with 5 shafts, on the right with 3. 2
similar stacks on the rear wall each have 2 shafts. All these stacks are
similar in style: the high octagonal shafts have moulded bases and starred
caps, and were clearly intended as a display feature, although they do relate
to 12 hearths in the house. 5 windows to the upper floor of the front, 4 to
the lower, all tripartite early C19 sashes with vertical glazing-bars only.
One of the upper windows is in the 2-storey porch containing the entry: this
porch is jettied on 3 sides, with the upper part of the 2 corner posts
projecting from the plaster; 4-light side openings each have heavily turned
C17 balusters; rectangular doorway; flat-topped roof with hipped sides.
Entrance door inside with 6 raised fielded panels. On the rear wall the
chimney-stacks are set between 3 short gabled wings with projecting tie-beams,
rendered. The central wing has an original 6-light oriel window on the upper
floor with ovolo-moulded mullions and transome, now blocked by the insertion
of a stair against it. At the left end of the front, a later C17 extension of
similar height and in matching materials, with a gabled rear the same size as
the rear wings. This is divided off from the main house and unoccupied.
Attached to its south-east corner is a small single-storey C18 outhouse in red
brick, laid in English Bond, with a tumbled gable incorporating an end
chimney-stack and pantiled roof. Interior with little timbering exposed; 5
wide bays to main house; ovolo-moulding to some main beams. A fine series of
fireplaces throughout the house. The rear stacks each have a hearth on ground
and first floor, all with shallow, almost flat, brick arches and chamfered
surrounds. Both gable end stacks have fireplaces to each floor and to the
attic: on the left ground floor room the hearth is immense, perhaps originally
for a kitchen, with the shallow arched opening repaired in C20 render. The
right end of the house had the most ornate fireplaces with square surround and
an inset 4-centred depressed arch, all ovolo-moulded. The house seems to have
had more than one early C17 phase, but its present internal layout reflects
C19 changes, and the earlier form is difficult to deduce. The present stair,
in the central rear wing, is clearly an insertion with 2 sections of resited
Jacobean balusters and Edwardian newel-posts. Part of an older newel stair
remains for the attic storey. Roof, formerly lighted by windows in the apex
of the rear wing gables, in 11 irregularly-spaced bays, with 2 rows unstepped
butt purlins. Ownership of the manor and site is well-documented, and the
present house is thought to have been built for John Osborne, who bought the
manor from Sir Robert Jermyn in 1592, and died in 1619. Joined to each end of
the house, and surrounding the front garden on all 3 sides, is a high wall
with gate piers: C17 red brick laid in English Bond, topped by a course of
inward-sloping coping bricks with a roll-moulding above. The widely-spaced
gate piers, square, rusticated in bands, with shallow conical tops, are on the
street frontage, in line with the porch.


Listing NGR: TM0083473872

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.