History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Uggeshall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3664 / 52°21'59"N

Longitude: 1.6064 / 1°36'22"E

OS Eastings: 645616

OS Northings: 280382

OS Grid: TM456803

Mapcode National: GBR YW4.QXQ

Mapcode Global: VHM6Y.SSL9

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352554

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282027

Location: Uggeshall, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Uggeshall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Uggeshall St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Wangford

Listing Text

UGGESHALL
TM 48 SE
4/68 Church Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse. Dated 1600 on internal wall post; remodelled mid C18 and extended
to right C19. Timber framed with modern roughcast render except the right
hand addition which is in colourwashed brick. Slated roof. 2 storeys and
attic. 4 windows, mainly C18 3-light mullion and transom casements. Lobby
entrance with good C18 porch: 6-panel door, eared architrave, Doric pilasters,
entablature and triangular pediment; the side windows have semi-hexagonal heads.
Central axial stack. The hall has an ovolo-moulded main beam with enriched
barred stop-chamfers and exposed joists; the wall posts supporting the main
beam both have decorative heads with carved panels, that to the front bearing
the boldly-carved date 1600, that to the rear apparently with the 2 sets of
initials 'RN' and 'MB'. The parlour, together with part of the hall, was
rebuilt in mid C18 when the whole house was re-roofed. On the first floor
is a fireplace, possibly original, with a depressed 2-centre arch and stucco
surround. Within the attic are 2 early diamond-leaded windows, now placed
in internal partitions. Newel stairs. Only a little of the timber frame is
exposed.


Listing NGR: TM4561680382

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.