History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Holton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3463 / 52°20'46"N

Longitude: 1.526 / 1°31'33"E

OS Eastings: 640256

OS Northings: 277875

OS Grid: TM402778

Mapcode National: GBR XNP.W35

Mapcode Global: VHM73.D9L6

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352566

English Heritage Legacy ID: 281973

Location: Holton, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Holton

Built-Up Area: Halesworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Holton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Holton

Listing Text

HOLTON BECCLES ROAD
TM 4077
8/14 Church of St. Peter
1.9.53
II*

Parish church. Medieval; considerably restored 1856-7, when the north aisle
was added. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, south porch. Flint rubble
with stone dressings; small remains of old plaster on the south chancel wall;
the north aisle is faced with knapped flint. Plaintiled roofs. C12 round
tower with a later bell-chamber stage of brick and flint rubble, with a red
brick crenellated parapet. There are original semi-circular headed lancet
windows at 3 levels, the upper range of 8 (alternate ones now blocked) being
the original bell-chamber level. The later stage has louvred bell-chamber
openings to each quarter. C12 core to nave, the south wall re-faced in C19
and with 3 C19 pointed lancet windows. Fine C12 south nave doorway, unusually
call: one order of colonnettes with scallop-carved cushion capitals and cable-
moulded shaft rings; the arch has an outer ring of scallops and 2 orders of
roll-moulding. Above the doorway is a C12 carved panel depicting an animal in
profile. C15 porch, considerably restored but with its original arched-braced
roof. Above the entrance is an ogee-headed niche within which is a C19 statue
of St. Peter. 2-bay chancel with 2-light C15 windows and a Priest's doorway;
C19 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. The north aisle extends
almost the full length of the nave and chancel and has lancet windows.
Interior 3-bay nave arcade, 2-bay chancel arcade; the chancel aisle is used as
the organ chamber and vestry. 5-bay arch-braced nave roof, probably C15 but
altered and rebuilt at a lower level in mid C19. 3-bay arched-braced chancel
roof, the main trusses C15, otherwise much renewed. Early C15 octagonal font,
the bowl with foiled panels carved with alternate blank shields and flowers;
the bowl is supported by 8 carved heads and the stem has 8 colonnettes.
Simple pointed-arch piscina in south sanctuary. Mid C19 furnishings. Arms of
George III over tower arch. The east window has stained glass by Kempe, dated
1899.


Listing NGR: TM4025677875

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.