History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Carlton Colville, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4515 / 52°27'5"N

Longitude: 1.6926 / 1°41'33"E

OS Eastings: 651000

OS Northings: 290143

OS Grid: TM510901

Mapcode National: GBR YTT.8RJ

Mapcode Global: VHM6M.9N50

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 17 April 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352577

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282039

Location: Carlton Colville, Waveney, Suffolk, NR33

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Carlton Colville

Built-Up Area: Lowestoft

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Carlton Colville St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Pakefield

Listing Text

CARLTON COLVILLE CHURCH LANE
TM 59 SW
1/10 Church of St. Peter
-

- II*

Parish church. Medieval tower, the remainder largely rebuilt 1884 in
Decorated style. Nave, chancel (with organ chamber), west tower, south porch,
north vestry. Random flint (mainly knapped) with stone admixture; stone
dressings. Plaintiled roofs. Square tower, largely C14, although the lower
portion (with a lancet west window) may be earlier; 3-stage diagonal
buttresses to west; 2-light bell-chamber openings; crenellated parapet with
flushwork. 4-bay nave with mainly Decorated style windows; at the west end
are 2 2-light windows in Perpendicular style (south) and a renewed C12 window
(north). The porch and vestry are entirely of 1883-4. 3-bay chancel with 2-
light windows, some perhaps re-used; 3-light east window. Interior. Scissor-
braced rafter roof to nave, boarded wagon roof to chancel, both late C19. In
the south sanctuary is a piscina with cusped ogee arch. C15 carved octagonal
font on a 2-stepped base: 4 lions against the stem, angels to the underside of
the bowl, and alternate angels and lions on the bowl panels. Graded II* for
medieval work, principally the tower and font.


Listing NGR: TM5100090143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.