History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Low Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Uggeshall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3738 / 52°22'25"N

Longitude: 1.6108 / 1°36'38"E

OS Eastings: 645875

OS Northings: 281217

OS Grid: TM458812

Mapcode National: GBR YW5.032

Mapcode Global: VHM6Y.VLXM

Entry Name: Low Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282017

Location: Uggeshall, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Uggeshall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Uggeshall St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Brampton

Listing Text

UGGESHALL
TM 48 SE
4/58
Low Farmhouse

- II

Former farmhouse. 1565, for Robert Crowfoot: the front ana rear wallposts in
the parlour are carved respectively with the date and name 'Robart Crofot'.
Restored from 3 cottages in 1960's. Timber framed and plastered, pantiled
roof. 2 storeys and attics. 3 cell form, originally with cross-passage
entry. Most of the windows have roll-moulded mullions and diamond-leaded
glass: some are original, others including the large ground floor windows are
mid C20 copies. Lobby entrance with mid C20 plank door in early frame with
arched head; the doorway to the cross-passage has been blocked although the
doorframe is still visible. Internal stack and external stack to right hand
gable end. Interior with good exposed framing and joists. The hall and
parlour have good fireplaces with the original timber lintols; the heads of
the wallposts in both these rooms are carved with rectangular panels with
fluting beneath, the panels in the parlour containing the date and name
referred to above. On the first floor is a section of re-used plank and
muntin screen and a matching door over which is a baluster-type grill. Newel
stairs; original floorboarding and some original doors. The roof has clasped
and butt purlins, with arched wind-bracing between. A rare example of a dated
house also bearing the name of the original owner. The will of Robert
Crowfoot, dated 1572, is preserved at the County Record Office, Ipswich.


Listing NGR: TM4587581217

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.