History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Corton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5213 / 52°31'16"N

Longitude: 1.7404 / 1°44'25"E

OS Eastings: 653844

OS Northings: 298062

OS Grid: TM538980

Mapcode National: GBR YSF.W9T

Mapcode Global: VHN3Q.3WYL

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 27 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352637

English Heritage Legacy ID: 282362

Location: Corton, Waveney, Suffolk, NR32

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Corton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Corton St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Hopton on Sea

Listing Text

CORTON CHURCH LANE
TM 59 NW
2/11 Church of St. Bartholomew
27.11.54
II*
Parish church. Medieval; in ruins by C17, with partial restoration during
C18, C19 and C20. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch; the only parts in
use are the chancel and the easternmost bay of the nave, although at the time
of survey (June 1985) further accommodation was under construction within the
shell of the nave. Flint rubble, the lower parts of the tower and chancel
faced with knapped flint; stone dressings. Pantiled roof. C15 square tower,
quite tall: diagonal buttresses with 3 off-sets and a crenellated parapet
enriched with flushwork panels. Original 3-light west window, now blocked;
square pierced stone openings at ringing chamber level; belfry openings with
missing tracery. The C14 3-bay nave had Perpendicular-style windows, now
missing except in the eastern bay where they have been renewed. Original
moulded doorways to north and south. C15 porch, much restored in C20. Good
C14 chancel: tall 2-light side windows in the Decorated style, with
reticulated tracery motifs; large 5-light east window. Interior. The part of
the church in use was re-roofed in 1870. In the south nave are the rood loft
stairs and a simple piscina. In the chancel is a combined piscina and triple
sedilia with crocketted ogee arches: this was installed early C20 and
incorporates part of the original discovered in a nearby house. Well-
preserved octagonal font of c.1500, the panels of the bowl carved alternately
with lions and with angels bearing shields; angels to the bowl underside and 4
lions against the stem. Stone reredos installed 1913, incorporating some
medieval work. A C14 carved cross from the east gable is stored inside the
chancel.


Listing NGR: TM5384498062

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.