This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4823 / 52°28'56"N
Longitude: 1.6953 / 1°41'43"E
OS Eastings: 651008
OS Northings: 293578
OS Grid: TM510935
Mapcode National: GBR YT7.9G1
Mapcode Global: VHM6F.BVLX
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 27 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282379
Location: Oulton, Waveney, Suffolk, NR32
Civil Parish: Oulton
Built-Up Area: Lowestoft
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Oulton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
OULTON CHURCH LANE
TM 59 SW
Church of St. Michael
Parish church. Medieval, restored 1862. Nave, chancel, central tower, north
transept, south porch. Mainly flint rubble with remains of plasterwork; stone
dressings. Plaintiled roofs. Square tower: the lower portion is C12, with
evidence for blocked window openings on the north side; the upper part of the
tower has been rebuilt in red brick, C18 and later. C12 nave with original
north and south doorways, the arch to the south doorway with chevron ornament.
The nave windows are in the Perpendicular style, the 3 to the north largely
original. C15 porch, considerably restored, with a brick entrance arch and
statue niche above; inside there are 4 stoups. Good C14 3-bay chancel: 2 of
the windows on each side and the 4-light east window have reticulated tracery.
The windows to the north and east are mostly original. The north transept has
been altered and enlarged, and is now used as the organ chamber and vestry.
The lower part of the end wall has coursed rubblework and is probably C13.
Interior. C12 tower arches on plain imposts; the west arch has one order of
chevron ornament. There are later arches to the former south transept and a
west aisle attached to this transept. Mid C19 nave roof with shallow scissor-
bracing to the trusses. The chancel roof and ceiling were renewed in 1967.
Stairs to former rood loft. In the sanctuary a trefoil-arched piscina and
drop-sill sedilia. Wel-preserved C15 octagonal font: the bowl panels have
flowers alternating with lions and with angels bearing shields; there are
angels to the underside of the bowl and 4 lions against the stem. A west
gallery is dated 1836. On the south nave wall is a monument to Thomas Hunt
(1808). 2 fine effigy brasses stolen in 1857 have been replaced by mid C20
replicas. Over the tower arch to the nave are the Arms of James II. The
furnishings are largely of C20 date.
Listing NGR: TM5100893578
Other nearby listed buildings