History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friends Meeting House

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1852 / 51°11'6"N

Longitude: -0.6175 / 0°37'3"W

OS Eastings: 496717

OS Northings: 143798

OS Grid: SU967437

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.LQ5

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.7GWR

Entry Name: Friends Meeting House

Listing Date: 18 December 1947

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352714

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291453

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

SU 9643 NE
12/172

GODALMING,
MILL LANE (south side),
Friends Meeting House, The Mint

18.12.47

GV II

Friends Meeting House. 1715, with wing added 1808. Red brick in Flemish bond, addition of poorer quality brick, some vitrified. Plain tile roofs. One storey, 3-bay meeting house with later wing projecting on right and built up against former yard wall. Meeting house: large central doorway, with double door of 8 raised and fielded panels under deep, console-bracketed hood. To either side, a large, wooden cross-window with leaded lights and one casement to each. Hipped roof. Wing: narrow bay on left, with door of 6 flush panels (top 2 glazed), links meeting house to 3-bay range which has two 3-light leaded windows, that on left C20, and a stack at rear; gable end of wing has door of 6 flush panels in reveal and large, 2-light, leaded window; right return is of galleted rubblestone, approximately 2 metres high, with oversailing domed coping, this formerly being the yard wall. Rear of meeting house has two cross-windows with diamond-leading flanking central 6-panel door all with flat, header-brick arches; stepped eaves. Interior of meeting house: panelled dado and elders' pew. Photograph of plan held in National Monuments Record.


Listing NGR: SU9671743798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.