History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inn on the Lake

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1805 / 51°10'49"N

Longitude: -0.6233 / 0°37'23"W

OS Eastings: 496323

OS Northings: 143264

OS Grid: SU963432

Mapcode National: GBR FD1.Z3D

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.4LVC

Entry Name: Inn on the Lake

Listing Date: 18 December 1947

Last Amended: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352718

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291485

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING OCKFORD ROAD
SU 9643 SW
(south end, off)
14/201
Inn on the Lake
(formerly listed as Lake
18.12.47
Hotel)
GV
II

House, now inn. Early C19 with earlier, possibly C18, origins and late C20
additions. Stuccoed with Welsh slate roof; earlier range of Bargate rubblestone
with plain tile roof; C20 addition of brick with plain tile roof. L-shaped Cl9
range wraps around earlier range which is visible only from the rear. Cl9
range: 2 storeys; 3 x 2 bays with C20 addition to right not of special
interest. Central door of 6 fielded panels, 4 upper panels now glazed, having
overlight with decorative glazing bars and Doric doorcase with panelled reveals,
rosette and triglyph frieze, and deep cornice. 2-storey bow window to right,
having 3 bowed sashes with glazing bars to each floor, separated by pilasters,
and ground-floor cornice. Other bays have sashes with glazing bars. Over-
sailing eaves. Hipped roof with two brick stacks. Left return: on left,
ground-floor bow window with 2 bowed sashes with glazing bars, reeded pilasters,
and oversailing, swept lead roof. Otherwise, sashes with glazing bars, and
arched cellar opening below bow. C20 addition on left not of special interest.
Rear: ground floor masked by C20 outshut, not of special interest. First floor
reveals the earlier range, having three 2-light leaded casements and plain tile
roof, the right-hand gable tile-hung where it rises above the C19 roof.
Attached former stable range on left not of special interest. Interior: queen-
strut roof trusses to earlier range.


Listing NGR: SU9632343264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.