This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1882 / 51°11'17"N
Longitude: -0.664 / 0°39'50"W
OS Eastings: 493465
OS Northings: 144062
OS Grid: SU934440
Mapcode National: GBR FD0.DYX
Mapcode Global: VHFVS.FDVH
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291582
Location: Peper Harow, Waverley, Surrey, GU8
Civil Parish: Peper Harow
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shackleford and Peper Harow
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94SW PEPER HAROW C.P. PEPER HAROW PARK
5/73 Church of St Nicholas
Church. C12, south nave wall and chancel. West tower 1826, north aisle and mortuary chapel 1847 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Viscount Middleton. South porch added in 1877.
Coursed, rough dressed local sandstone with clunch dressings and plinth on chancel and North Aisle, sandstone rubble covered in rough lime plaster to nave with clunch quoins and sandstone blocks to tower. Stone porch, timber framed above, with incised render infilling, plain tiled roofs. Square battlemented tower to west end, nave and aisle to north with chancel to east, chancel chapel to north, vestry at angles north west, porch to south. Tower with diagonal offset buttresses to west end, stair turret to north east corner. One arched louvred. opening on each face under cornice in splayed ashlar surrounds, one similar window with Y tracery to north and south sides. Lancet with bowl projecting to base, dated 1826 on front of tower over 2-light Victorian window under hood mould. North aisle windows in early English style, chancel windows Decorated style and large window to East of 3-lights and Star of David pattern tracery under hood mould with human head steps. Niche memorial to Catherine Broderick 1867, on west wall of porch chancel chapel. Old South door of 2
plain orders and round arch.
Interior:- Panelled nave roof with floral bosses to square panels. Grey marble
columns to north aisle of 4 lobed sections with chevron moulding to arches. Elaborate floral, cusped rear arches to west window. Much restored chancel arch of C12, remodelled by Pugin. Original traces of Norman arch to shallow recesses left and right of main arch. Heavily decorated central arch with chevron and cross mouldings and attached orders with scalloped capitals. Painted and panelled chancel ceiling.
Fittings:- Caen stone reredos of 5 canopied compartments, the centre containing
cross supported by angels and cherubim standing on wheels to other four. C19
fittings including pulpit and font. Victorian Gothic scripts painted on chancel
Monuments: Brass to Joan Adderley dated 1487, small kneeling figure c.14 inches high under ogee niche. Tower arch wall - monuments to Thomas and Catherine Broderick, died 1641. Grey stele with white cherub's head and portrait busts to either side. Attributed to Bushnell. Neo classical monument to Thomas Broderick 1745. Grey marble stele with crowning urn. On North wall of chancel. Tomb monument to George, Viscount Middleton by H. Weekes of London. 1836. Brought from Wandsworth. Placid semi-reclining figure against Perpendicular tracery background.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.407-8.
V.C.H. Vol III pp.51-2.
Listing NGR: SU9346544062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings