This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8375 / 50°50'15"N
Longitude: 0.4714 / 0°28'17"E
OS Eastings: 574114
OS Northings: 107134
OS Grid: TQ741071
Mapcode National: GBR PXD.D04
Mapcode Global: FRA C6WW.FHQ
Entry Name: The De La Warr Pavilion
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292006
Location: Rother, East Sussex, TN40
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bexhill
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Bexhill St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/09/2016
TQ 70 NW 5/71
The De La Warr Pavilion
Built in 1936. Architects Mendelsohn and Chermayeff, and engineer Felix Samuely. It was on Samuely's advice that the design was changed from a concrete frame to become the first public welded-steel building in Britain. Large building in 2 sections with 2-storeyed east wing and assembly hall to the west. Rendered walls with parapet to flat roof. East wing fully glazed on south side with cantilevered iron-railed balconies continued round the projecting bow at the junction of the assembly hall, which has largely plain elevations without windows. Rear has strip windows and continuous glazing to ground storey of hall. West end has 2 large staircase windows flanking higher centre. Large cantilevered bar window above central entrance on north side. Ground storey piers to south elevation now faced with ceramic tiles.
Listing NGR: TQ7411407134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings