This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9138 / 50°54'49"N
Longitude: 0.4872 / 0°29'14"E
OS Eastings: 574941
OS Northings: 115644
OS Grid: TQ749156
Mapcode National: GBR PWF.Q09
Mapcode Global: FRA C6XP.FN7
Entry Name: The Ruins of Battle Abbey
Listing Date: 3 August 1961
Last Amended: 13 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352861
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292120
Location: Battle, Rother, East Sussex, TN33
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Battle
Built-Up Area: Battle
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Battle St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 7415-7515 BATTLE HIGH STREET (south west side)
The Ruins of Battle
3.8.61 (formerly listed as
Of the portions of the abbey above ground the principal buildings dated from C13.
These are:- (a) the Dormitory. This was on the first floor with three vaulted
rooms below it. Stone rubble. Lancet windows. Buttresses. (b) the Guest house
to the south west. Eight barrel-vaulted chambers with buttresses on the south
side along the terrace, with rooms over. Stone rubble. Lancet windows. At the
west end are two tall octagonal turrets which were built by Sir Anthony Browne
in the C16 after the dissolution, when, as Guardian of the Princess Elizabeth
he was preparing a lodging for her at the Abbey, though she never came. The Abbey
was founded by William the Conqueror in 1087 on the site of the battle of Hastings.
The high altar of the abbey church was erected on the spot where King Harold fell.
Of the abbey church there are practically no remains above ground, but the founda-
tions have been excavated and those at the east end are marked out.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TQ7500715726
Other nearby listed buildings