History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Deanery Including the Former Stables

A Grade II* Listed Building in Battle, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9156 / 50°54'56"N

Longitude: 0.4885 / 0°29'18"E

OS Eastings: 575024

OS Northings: 115851

OS Grid: TQ750158

Mapcode National: GBR PWF.JBM

Mapcode Global: FRA C6XP.855

Entry Name: The Deanery Including the Former Stables

Listing Date: 3 August 1961

Last Amended: 13 May 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352882

English Heritage Legacy ID: 292249

Location: Battle, Rother, East Sussex, TN33

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

Civil Parish: Battle

Built-Up Area: Battle

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Battle St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Whatlington

Listing Text

TQ 7415-7515 BATTLE UPPER LAKE
(north side)

41/45 The Deanery including
the former stables
(formerly listed as
3.8.61 The Deanery and the
Stables)
GV
II*

The Vicar of Battle is called the Dean, and this is the Vicarage. C16, 2 storeys
and attic. 5 windows. 5 dormers. Red brick. 2 bay windows on ground and first
floor. Long and short stone quoins at the main angles of the front and at the
angles of the bays. Stone stringcourses above first floor. Embattled brick parapet
which passes round the bays and rises to a crow-stepped gable in the centre with
the centre dormer in it. Casement windows with stone mullions. Rainwater heads
dated 1669. Entrance to porch 1670, with half-round Ionic columns, moulded frieze
and pediment, with original C16 door of 6 panes with moulded frame. The porch
with crow-stepped gable was built round this entrance in 1960. Also additions
made at the back of the house at the same time. The stables adjoin the house
on the west and cannot be considered separately from it. They date from 1670.


Listing NGR: TQ7502815852

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.