This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8777 / 50°52'39"N
Longitude: 0.0635 / 0°3'48"E
OS Eastings: 545270
OS Northings: 110720
OS Grid: TQ452107
Mapcode National: GBR LR8.YP9
Mapcode Global: FRA C60S.BL5
Entry Name: Glyndebourne
Listing Date: 20 August 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353005
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292970
Location: Glynde, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Glynde
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Glynde St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 41 SE 11/549 20.8.65. Glyndebourne
This house was originally part of the same estate as Glynde Place belonging
to the Morley family but was separated from it in the late C16 when Mary Morley
(m 1589 d 1598) married John Hay. Like Glynde Place, it has not been sold
since the Conquest, but has passed through the female line 5 times. It has
become world famous since 1934 for the opera house built in the garden by John
Christie, and the performances given there, chiefly of Mozart's operas.
The house is of irregular plan and various dates.
The oldest portion, dating from the occupation by the Morleys, is the north
end which is partly late C15 and partly late C16. The walls are of chalk but
this is only visible outside at the back of the north-west wing. Casement
windows with stone mullions and transoms. Inside a lot of timber-framing is
visible, with C16 panelling and a staircase of the late C16 or early C17.
Additions were made by the Hay family in the C17 including the present large
Library, then 2 rooms. About 1870 the house was enlarged and encased in red
brick by William Langham Christie. The south-east and south-west fronts date
principally from that period, with alterations and adaptations in 1920, when
the Music-room was also added. The south-west or entrance front is half-H shaped.
Two storeys and attic. Tiled roof. Casement windows with stone mullions and
transoms. The centre portion has 5 windows on ground floor, 3 windows on first
floor, parapet and 4 hipped dormers above. The projecting wings have 2 windows
each on ground floor, one window each to first floor and attic, and a gable
over each. The south-east or garden front is L-shaped. Five windows, 2 hipped
dormers. Two gables to the projecting wing at the north-east end. Beyond
this is the Music-room, with a large pentagonal bay in the centre and balustraded
parapet over. This room joins the house to the opera house.
Listing NGR: TQ4527010720
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings