History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Place nos 165 and 167, and Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lewes, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8725 / 50°52'20"N

Longitude: 0.008 / 0°0'28"E

OS Eastings: 541378

OS Northings: 110026

OS Grid: TQ413100

Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.8TD

Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.LY8

Entry Name: Castle Place nos 165 and 167, and Railings

Listing Date: 25 February 1952

Last Amended: 16 March 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1353051

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293216

Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Lewes

Built-Up Area: Lewes

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Lewes St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Lewes

Listing Text

iN THE ENTRY FOR

TQ 4110 SW LEWES HIGH STREET
(north side)

9/235 Nos 165, 166
(Castle Place)
and 167 and rail
16.3.70 up to No 167

The address shall be amended to read -

TQ 4110 SW LEWES HIGH STREET
(north side)

9/235 Nos 165 & 167, and
railings
16.3.70 No 166 (Castle Place)
25.2.52

The sentence beginning in the fifth row shall be amended to read - "Boarded
and plain eaves soffit to wings".

------------------------------------

TQ 4110 SW LEWES HIGH STREET
9/235 (north side)

16.3.70 Nos 165, 166 (Castle Place)
and 167 and railings to No
167

GV II*

House row, now with shop to left. 1810 by Amon Wilds. Central stuccoed block
with grey brick recessed wings with red brick dressings on stuccoed ground-floor.
Rusticated quoins on ground floor to right and rusticated ground floor to centre
between panelled pilasters. Tall fluted pilasters flanking centre with Ammonite
Ionic capitals. Panelled eaves soffit to wings; similar eaves, but with
paired brackets to centre. Balustraded roof to central block with corner piers
and three rows of inset balusters, over window bays. Shell ornament on ends of
balustrade. Slate roof, visible only on wings, with large stacks to rear. 3
storeys; 1 - 3 - 1 window front, glazing bar sashes, except margin-light sash
on first floor to left and tripartite sashes on both upper floors to right.
Very plain, indeed abstract balcony, with small garlands on handrail to central
block only on first floor. Central flat-headed porch with cornice hood
supported on Ionic columns. Wide C20 shop-front to left with fascia-board over
and recessed door to right. Round-arched entrance with arched light over panelled
door with rusticated arch entrance. Plain railings flanking door to No 167.
The centre house was built for Dr Gideon Mantell, geologist and discoverer of the
Iguanadon. The Ammonite Ionic capitals become, therefore, a double reference,
to both architect and patron.


Listing NGR: TQ4137610028

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.