This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8731 / 50°52'23"N
Longitude: 0.0106 / 0°0'37"E
OS Eastings: 541558
OS Northings: 110101
OS Grid: TQ415101
Mapcode National: GBR KQ2.3H9
Mapcode Global: FRA B6XS.MXZ
Entry Name: 49, High Street
Listing Date: 16 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 293136
Location: Lewes, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Lewes
Built-Up Area: Lewes
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Lewes St Thomas at Cliffe with Lewes All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 4110 SE LEWES HIGH STREET
10/154 (south side)
16.3.70 No 49
House, now shop. Late C16 or early C17, clad in C18. Timber-framed, plastered
to north with red brick ground-floor to west and grooved weather-boarding over.
Plain tiled roof, gabled to borth. 2 storeys; 5 windows on first floor to
west, one to north, all glazing bar sashes. C20 shop-fronts on ground floor
to north and west. Half-glazed door to right of centre to west. Interior:
Frame almost completely hidden. Very large cellar of large squared stones
brought to courses, reputedly from the Church of St. Mary-in-Foro which
occupied this site at some time before 1559 when the parish was united with
that of St. John-sub-Castro. A late C18 print shows the west side to have
been stone with two pointed-arched windows with tracery.
Listing NGR: TQ4155810101
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings